Cal Poly Wheelmen Gearing Up for 18th Annual Parkfield Classic Mountain Bike Race on October 13th -14th, 2007.
SAN LUIS OBISPO – Grease the granny gears, and get ready for the hills, spills and thrills of the 18th annual Parkfield Classic Mountain Bike Race sponsored by Foothill Cyclery and presented by the Cal Poly Wheelmen.
The races begin Saturday, October 13, 2007 at 8 a.m. and continues through Sunday afternoon on the V6 Cattle Ranch, located three miles north of Parkfield – Two and half hours from Santa Barbara, San Jose, Fresno, and Bakersfield. Gates open on Friday, Oct. 12, 2007 at 4 p.m. for participants who want to register the night before and camp in designated areas.
Registration fees range from $15 to $40 depending on the race and category. Parking/camping $10 per vehicle plus $10 for trailers. For a complete list of fees and a registration form, visit http://www.parkfieldclassic.com
Race director Kevin Moynihan says organizers want racers and spectators to come Friday evening and camp under the stars for the whole weekend – registration will stay open late Friday, and re-open at 6 a.m. Saturday morning. Pre-event registration is available before Sept. 30 for a free t-shirt. Parkfield is the mountain biking Woodstock of the Central Coast!
Parkfield Classic events include:
- Saturday, 8 a.m.- Cross Country – Distances: Beginner: 9 miles, Sport: 15 miles, Pro/Expert: 24 miles. Sponsored by Affinity Chiropractic Center. Post race BBQ, provided by Parkfield Café, costs $8 and includes a burger, chips, and a beverage.
- Saturday, noon – Dual Slalom – Head to Head gravity racing. Sponsored by FRS – Antioxidant Health Drink
- Saturday, 5pm – Raffle with thousands of dollars worth of Merch – including i9 Wheels!!
- Sunday, 8 a.m. – Short Track – Short lap sprint Cross Country racing – Sponsored by Nimble Creative L.L.C.
- Sunday, 11 a.m. – Downhill – Single Track gravity racing. Sponsored by Art’s SLO Cyclery
All races have race categories for every skill level, and collegiate entry as well. Join us and 500 others under the stars in Parkfield California, Oct 13th and 14th, 2007.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Driving Directions: Parkfield is about 390 miles from Reno a 6.5 hour drive.